It has been a whole month since I last posted here and I thought it was about time that I came back to give you an update of my latest happenings.
1. I have started building my business
In my last post, I introduced to you the launch of my other blog – soulARTZ – and I felt that I needed some time to concentrate on getting that established, but also time to think about what I would want to do with this blog.
I’ll be honest; I have been umming and ahhing about whether I would want to continue with winecakeandcheese for a couple of reasons:
- I’m posting on soulARTZ 3 times a week (quite a lot!) and investing time and effort in writing high quality posts for that site.
- I see my future embedded in the growth of soulARTZ as I am planning earning a living from it eventually, so it has to be a priority to build that readership and connect with readers as much as possible.
- I have been doubtful about whether I’d still have the time and the need to write for this blog – do I really need/want TWO blogs?
The answer is: YES…
and this is why.
Essentially, I am now training myself to think of soulARTZ as my primary occupation. I still have my “day job” (which may be suffering slightly!), but establishing my business now is my first priority. I am doing my job as well as I can, but I am no longer emotionally investing myself in that role. My energy traffic has been diverted directly to soulARTZ with a quick detour right through the center of my heart!
It feels amazing to have a renewed sense of purpose and passion in my work life. However, a balance is still needed – especially as I am now balancing TWO jobs with the need for having a social life, and me time.
I don’t want my blogging to be all about my business. I love to write and it has helped me immensely to have this online space to just write about whatever I want! I enjoy the process of writing down my thoughts and sharing them with others: it keeps me honest and helps me to live authentically. I still want to blog for me and that is why winecakeandcheese will continue on!
2) I’m strengthening my power mindset
I was listening to a podcast this morning on Tiffany Han’s website. She interviews Michelle Ward – The When I Grow Up Coach– a passionate lady whom I find SUPER inspiring and someone whom I really hope I can work with in the near future! Ward’s goal in her business is to help her clients find work that is play – an idea I absolutely love and connect with.
In the podcast, she mentioned that if we are starting a business and taking steps towards our true dreams then we need to adjust the way we answer that question: “What do you do?”
Usually I answer this question something like this: “Urrrggghhh, well I am a high school English teacher, *big sigh* BUT I am planning on starting my own business yadda yadda yadda….”
Michelle wants us to take our dreams by the balls and actually say: “I am an entrepreneur!”
So this is now one of my personal goals: to strengthen my power mindset in order to attract entrepreneurial success.
3. I have a HOME!
If you are new to my blog or simply need a reminder of what has gone down over the last couple of months here is a quick recap:
- Back in July (feels like a lifetime ago!) I posted this. I found myself with a massive gash on my forehead (the result of an unfortunate stumble!) and completely lost and confused about the direction of my life.
- Not too long after that, I had a bit of a bust-up with my flatmate at the time and I decided that it was best for my state of mind for me to move out effective immediately. It was a hard decision but I know it was the right one! I was lucky enough to have been able to move in with a friend in the time-being.
- It was stressful to be in-between homes so suddenly; my daily life was up-ended and I had to adjust to a new routine immediately while still having to go to work and get over a horrible flu-type sickness. I stopped journaling for about two weeks which was a major interruption to my #project365. I wanted a home that I could call my own – desperately.
- Then something amazing happened: I was offered a long-term rental agreement for a 3 bedroom house at a reasonable rate. My best-friend’s parents were looking for a reliable tenant and they wanted someone they knew, so voila! I had four weeks until my move in date and four weeks to find a flatmate.
- Fortunately, my friend Jess was looking for a new home at the time and I asked her if she would be interested in living with me – a tall order I know! Of course, she was! It is funny how things just seem to click into place when you are listening to and following your heart…
- I was starting to feel better as I started building my new life and preparing for moving into the house. I busied myself buying furniture and I placed an custom order for my soulARTZ website – I just wanted to take the leap! I aso found my little man Jasper – so cute.
Jess and I (plus Jassy and Basil) moved into a our new home on Saturday 22nd August and I have never been happier! Now, going to work is even harder because I just want to be there to enjoy the space all the time and to watch Jasper grow and spring from wall to wall.
I view this happening as the foundation of all the other recent developments in my life. I have said this before, but a huge lesson I have learned this year is the importance of having a place to call home. If we want to achieve anything, we have got to put a stake in the ground someplace and say this is me; this is where I am, where I belong and what I want.
We have to commit to and stay in one place to make progress. Until now, I have been incredibly non-committal. Always wanting to keep myself free and open to the possibility of dropping everything and jumping on a plane to here, there and everywhere. But it wasn’t working for me. I wasn’t feeling satisifed and I wasn’t feeling grounded enough to make the positive changes I needed to make in my life.
I am now sure of what I want and the type of life I wish to live.
- I want to do work that is play – creative, fun, engaging, with a passion purpose.
- I also want to work for myself – be the powerful entrepreneur I know I really am at heart: good-bye working for the man – yes!
- I want a man I love and who loves me back.
- Eventually, I want to buy a house (so I can REALLY call it my own!) and more animals…yes definitely more animals.
- I’m still undecided about having children, but if it happens it will happen! I will remain open-minded about this.
If you haven’t yet checked out my new website – go for it! It has only been up and running for a month, but I am already so proud of it. I am building content for it everyday and I have so many great plans and ideas for the future of my little biz!
Ciao for now x